Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oh my wow

The first time Joaquin Phoenix came into my life was in 1996 when I came across Gus Van Sant's "To Die For," on cable. I was intrigued and tittilated since I was way too young to be watching that movie (by the by if you haven't seen this movie I highly recommend it, Nicole Kidman, Casey Affleck, Matt Dillon and Ileana Douglas round out this dark comic thriller.) I didn't know how to speak Spanish yet so I wasn't sure how to pronounce his name and was fascinated by this boy named "Jo-a-quin" with a bit of a cleft pallet, undeniable talent and was River Phoenix's brother.
By the time he was nominated for an Oscar in 2000 for "Gladiator" and again in 2006 for "Walk the Line," everyone knew who he was and how to pronounce his name. So when I heard a few weeks ago he was giving up acting completely to pursue a career in music I thought "This has got to be a joke.That's gobble-dee-gook Joaquin."
Sadly (for the time being) this is no joke and below is footage of him rapping at some club in Vegas


While watching all I could think was “Knick-nack paddywhack give a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home.” And then he fell off the stage.

No comments: