Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"The Wrestler" Review



Though I had been wanting to see "The Wrestler" since Christmas, I saw it on a whim last Wednesday night and am still haunted by the beautiful intensity of this movie. First and foremost I have to applaud Darren Aronofsky for once again helming an cinematic triumph, with gut-wrenching and heart breaking intensity. The man is a genius who with each cinematic endeavor he oversees creates a completely original work of art that leaves an indelible memory forevermore...yes I just wrote forevermore, because Aronofsky is that brilliant- hello, have you seen "Requiem for A Dream" (oh and the site for the film is still up and absolutely nuts.) I used to wonder when - never if - Darren Aronofsky will make a studio picture. All four of the films he's directed have been utterly incredible, evocative, intense and thought provoking, but not commercially viable. Turns out Aronofsky will be directing the new "RoboCop Movie"... um ye all I can say is I hope he makes it cool.
Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood are stellar in the supporting roles, Tomei is actually nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar who plays a stripper with a heart of gold, while Wood plays his estranged daughter. And 30 Rock's Judah Friedlander, even makes a cameo. Now down to the nitty gritty,if Mickey Rourke doesn't win the Oscar for Best Actor he was legitimately robbed. What that man endured to play Randy "The Ram" is mind boggling to me, partly because I'm incredibly sedentary, but where he had to go physically, emotionally and mentally to become this character is unbelievable. This movie is an emotional and physical roller coaster and I highly recommend it, but must let you know it's certainly not like the Wrestlemania you grew up with.
My rating: 9.9/10
2 of the best quotes from the film:

"The only place I get hurt is out there. The world don't give a shit about me."

"I'm an old broken down piece of meat and I deserve to be all alone, I just don't want you to hate me."

No comments: