Monday, December 22, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire Review


I must preface this review by writing that Slumdog Millionaire is possibly the best movie I've seen in years. Now that I've had a few days to let it ruminate and a chance to gain some perspective on this utterly beautiful film, there is certainly nothing else I can compare it to and can do nothing more than to tell you to go see this movie as soon as possible. Though if you need a better idea of what it's about, I've posted the trailer below, but basically it's a bildungsroman love story, vividly and lusciously told through vibrant cinematography, glorious acting and masterful directing. Jamal Malik is one question away from winning 20 million rupies on the Indian version of "Who wants to be a Millionaire," but before he can answer the final question he is accused of cheating and the plot of the film is how he was able to come up with the answers and is told in flashback intercut with present day.


I have been a fan of director Danny Boyle since "Trainspotting" came out, though I was too young to see it I was intrigued by him as a director and was forever a follower of his thanks to "A Life Less Ordinary," then "The Beach." More recently people may be familiar with his work on "28 Days Later" but Danny takes independent filmaking to a whole new level (as he always does) with this gem of a picture. I was hesistant about Dev Patel's performance, who plays Jamal, prior to the seeing film since he's so incredibly awkward and comedically brilliant on the British drama "Skins," but he was wonderful, as was every child actor who played the main characters in different points of their life. I must also mention Freida Pinto, who is not only gorgeous, but a discovery Danny Boyle likens to when he cast Kelly MacDonald in Trainspotting.
Finally I must add that M.I.A's music is featured throughout the film and after the constant bombardment of "Paper Planes" in the "Pineapple Express" trailer, I went off the song completely, though A R Rahman created a phenomenally modern and accessible score and soundtrack that features "Paper Planes" to perfect effect to the point where you want to travel to India. My rating: 10/10


"Slumdog Millionaire" Trailer


No comments: