Monday, December 15, 2008

I'm in love with millinery

What's millinery you ask? Well it's hat design basically. I've loved hats for as long as I can remember in almost any and every style. Anyone who knows me well has seen me running around in my Green Beret, kicking ass and taking names(...ok well not really kicking ass, but I do love to take names and meet peeps.) THE hats I most covet and desire to add to my wardrobe are a basic bowler (I've been trying to track down a proper/reasonably priced one since my time at Oxford years back,) a pork pie (so I can look like a jazzhead,) a cloche (so I can act like a jazz baby,) and of course the notorious and infamous "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat,"Bob Dylan sings about mockingly on 'Blonde on Blonde.'


Along with a general obsession with millinery I hold great admiration and respect for a number of Milliners who continuously kill at their craft, namely Stephen Jones, Eugenia Kim, Albertus Swanepoel & Philip Treacy to praise a fewLink. I've posted several of their creations below. Their artisanship and ability is simply astounding and incredibly innovative, that I must now be trite and tip my hat to each of them for the beautiful works of art they've been able to create.


Albertus Swanepoel's "Goddess"

Albertus Swanepoel's "Montmarte" (which you may have seen on Jennifer Aniston when she guest starred on '30 Rock' "I design hats now!")

Albertus Swanepoel's "Safari"



Stephen Jones "Smashed"


Stephen Jones "Khatoum"

Stephen Jones "London"


Stephen Jones "Gerlinde"


The book that got me into millinery


Eugenia Kim's Houndstooth earflap hat





Eugenia Kim's Coach line from a few years ago



Eugenia Kim cloche


Albertus Swanepoel

Albertus Swanepoel


Stephen Jones' "Tube"

Stephen Jones' "Ecstasy"

Stephen Jones' "The Roxy"

Stephen Jones' "Snow Plume"


Stephen Jones' "Guru"

No comments: