Monday, December 15, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

And not just because Jesus is the reason for season, but because THE BEST movies come out! With the annoucement of the Golden Globe nominees Thursday morning it helps me put into perspective what serious award contenders I should see as soon as possible, while I intend to pepper in the more commercial fair, and probably "Twilight" again. So I've compiled a list of what I intend to and would like to see this holiday season as well as what I've already seen and highly recommend.

1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- Everytime I see this trailer it makes me fall in love with film making all over again

2. Slumdog Millionaire - I've been in awe of Danny Boyle's directorial prowess since I saw Trainspotting well over a decade ago. His ability to bring out the most brilliant performances out of an relatively unknown actors and turn them into stars (Ewan McGregor, Kelly MacDonald, Cillian Murphy) never ceases to amaze and delight me.

3.Milk - Sean Penn breathes the rarified air that only few actors (Daniel Day-Lewis, Denzel Washington on a good day) have the ability to experience. And supposedly he breathes so much life in his portrayal of Harvey Milk, his performance is epic. I've been waiting to see this film for months and hope to before Christmas Day

4.The Wrestler - Darren Aronofsky is the kind of film maker who makes me wonder if I could ever imagine as vividly as he is able to depict on screen. Winner of the Golden Lion
(basically the Grand Jury Prize) at this year's Venice Film Festival

5.Revolutionary Road - Introduce me to one person who didn't like Titanic or who has a negative comment to make about the chemistry and talent of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet and I'll them an idiot to their face. RR reunites the two, under the direction of Academy Award Winning Director Sam Mendes

6. The Reader- Kate Winslet really do no wrong

7. Gran Torino- Nothing says Holiday awards season like a Clint Eastwood movie and not only does he direct this one he stars in it too.

8. Defiance- Liev Schreiber + Daniel Craig + a true story about brothers fighting the Nazis= a movie I'm super excited for

9. Doubt & Frost/Nixon- Both super serious films with incredible casts that keep growing on me but I'm in no immediate rush to see either

10. Valkyrie- I have no intention of paying to see this movie and the as the release date grows closer the idea, trailers and Tom Cruise's perfect American accent grow funnier and funnier to me. Though I am intrigued by the set pieces, the scale of the production and what Bryan Singer was able to pull off, but like I said I'm not paying to see this one.



Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: