Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Milk Review


Milk is Gus Van Sant's biopic about Harvey Milk the first openly gay person to hold public office in the US. Sean Penn is stellar as the eponymous character and gives a riveting performance, but Josh Brolin's as City Supervisor and Harvey Milk nemesis, Dan White, was so brilliant, thinking about him still leaves me uneasy. While Sean Penn is Milk, the ensemble that includes an incandescent James Franco, Emile Hirsch is annoyingly bareable, Joseph Cross is sexily serious, Allison Pill is a badass bitch and Diego Luna is the brilliant gay neurotic best friend I never wanted, hold the film together. I must add that the film is gayer than Brokeback, and I mean it's overtly sexual and based on real events and uses actual news footage from the day, but certainly not sexually graphic. Sean Penn will be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar and quite possibly win, which I hope is only one of the reasons as to why you should check out this great film. My rating: 8.9/10

1 comment:

Richard said...

Yeah, I saw it while in Oakland so needless to say the cinema was packed from (local) pride.

I laughed, I cried, I cringed. It was wonderful.