Thursday, November 20, 2008

Coldplay Concert Review






And now Wes Samuel reviews the Coldplay Show at the Bank Atlantic Center from 11/9/08:





I'm not to good at writing in depth reviews of anything, but here's my quick .02:

Normally, I think Coldplay's music is great for what it is, mood music. Along the same lines as Radiohead (although nobody really compares to them) and the Doves, it's great pop music with a warm ambient feel that tends to the fill the spaces between the band members.

I was interested to see how it was going to translate in a live setting, let alone a venue whose acoustics have, in my past experiences, left a bit to be desired. However I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. While they may call themselves a "soft" rock band, they are most certainly a rock band and they put on an arena rock show. I liked how they mixed up the songs and had a good balance of upbeat songs and the normal "touchy-feely" songs. I also liked how they changed up some of their songs in the live setting. I think the highlight for me was the fast paced electro version of "Talk" on the remote stage in the crowd.

Overall, I was very impressed. As Ethan said, there is something to be said for 20,000 people singing together in unison. To me, the best part of a concert is when you feel the energy of thousands of total strangers all vibing to the same energy in the room (God, I just sounded like a hippy) But it's true, and I definitely felt that a few times last night.





Thanks Wes! I had a pretty great time, which shouldn't be too shocking since I hold Mr. Berryman, Mr. Buckland, Mr. Champion and Mr. Martin in the highest of esteem (this was the 4th time I've seen them in concert.) On more than one occasion people have asked me: "how can you listen to Coldplay, they're kind of depressing?" I certainly understand where they're coming from but I beg to differ and think that more than anything they write really beautiful, sonic, rock and roll lullabies, but that's just my opinion.


Below are the trillion cell phone pics i took during the show.





the worst/craziest picture i could have taken of Wes













confetti!


more confetti!



the boys when they left the stage and played a few tunes in the audience


No comments: