Friday, November 21, 2008

Matthew Weiner I praise you


For those of you who don't know who Matthew Weiner is, he's the creator and head writer of "Mad Men." I drafted this original post right after the season finale of the show about 4 weeks ago and just never had a chance to finish it. Now that I find myself trying emulating Betty's style (and maybe even sometimes her nuttiness...ok not really) I thought I should finally finish it.
I'm glad other people are as obsessed with this incredible show too, because the word needs to shared. The New York Times had a great article about the finale and a 10 page feature from when the season started this summer, that's worth checkign out to get in the know.
Matthew Weiner is a genius and with the help of an incredible cast and crew he has created one of the best shows i have ever seen in my life. After reading this exclusive interview with Jon Hamm on playing Don Draper and an interview with Vincent Kartheiser on playing Pete Campbell, their characters have been even more illuminated and resonate even more, now that the show has come to a close and I've had a chance to let the "Mad-ness" of season 2 sink in.

SPOILER ALERT OF SEASON 2 FINALE BELOW!
The title of the 2nd season finale was "Meditations in an Emergency," which I thought was the perfect title (and obviously and ongoing theme/book title throughout the show,) since the epsiode unfolded during the Bay of Pigs crisis. Though the central focus of the finale were the 2 not completely convention couples of the show, Peggy & Pete the least likely/most exciting, and of course Don & Betty, the most attractive/most dysfunctional. Pete was all mooney eyed and not because he was drunk. He was in love and sincere for the first time ever, and she ruined him by setting herself free and revealing the truth about the repercussions of their actions from sesaon 1. "I wish I picked you then. I love you and I want to be with you." What don't you know that?" Pete finally confessed to her, and she responded with:" I could have had you in my life...I could have shamed you into being with me, " which was true and utterly shocking.

Don also confessed his love to Betty and the necessity of having her in his life after she kicked him out for having and affair. But she finally let him come home, after finding out she was knocked up and had a horizontal mambo session with a complete stranger in the back office of a bar- which we learn when Joan tells him "Your wife called and asked you to come home." At that moment Don realized the importance of family, to his identity and existene and needed nothing by them and left his briefcase at work. Betty and don have everything and nothing, they're young, beautiful, and a family of means, who screw around on each other and are unfulfilled with their lives. I loved that Don finally showed some emotion and made the grand gesture at home and in the office, respecting others and the "products" he sells not advertising, which in turn screwed Duck over because he legitimately hates Don and is jealous of him. In the end Betty and Don are back together, but because they realize they'd rather be together and miserable than alone and miserable. Pete has no one and Peggy has peace.


I'd give up a kidney to have access to/wear whatever I wanted from this closet

I'd give up the other kidney to get on Don Draper (yes Don not Jon, because we're already involved.)





oh and did I mention Don Draper is a stone fox

No comments: