Friday, June 19, 2009

Revolutionary Road Review

So I finally saw Revolutionary Road, the other night which may not have been the best call considering I was pretty distraught over finally admitting I was heartbroken over losing 2 close friends [they're not dead, but no longer in my life] but it was a well executed, yet dire look at a relationship between a miserable marreid couple, named Frank and April Wheeler (excellently played by Kate Winslet & Leonardo DiCaprio ) in 1950's New York. It was basically THE most depressing episode of Mad Men ever without any emotional payoff aside from great performances. The film starts off with a knock down drag out shouting match, which is incredibly intense, and then the film only gets darker. While there are faint glimmers of hope and the potential for things to get better for April and Frank Wheeler more fighting is inevitable and is reminiscent of the scenes in Closer where the couples lay it all out. Watching April and Frank shout at each other reminded me of a few arguments I had with an ex, which is probably why I found myself laughing aloud when April finally tells him:
"But I don't [love you.] I hate you. You were just some boy who made me laugh at a party once, and now I loathe the sight of you. In fact, if you come any closer, if you touch me or anything, I think I'll scream."
All in all Rev Road in my opinion is one of the best romantic dramedies I've ever seen, but that's because I coudln't help but laugh at the fact that these people hated each other, yet were together, plus Michael Shannon - who was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar -was hilariously brilliant as a neighbors mentally ill, but brutally honest son was a revelation. Sam Mendes' direction was flawless and has helmed a stark, realistic tome, but all I can say is if you do decide to sit through this, brace yourself it's pretty rough, but hey so is life.

My rating: 8.8/10

No comments: